Monday, June 29, 2009

Weight Loss

I consider my ideal adult weight to be 180 lbs. A couple of years ago, I let it drift up to 190, but felt a bit bloated, and a step slower, so I worked it back down to 180, mostly with meal-time portion control and an uptick in the workout regime, and was happier when I got there.

Current weight: 150 lbs. I'm a shadow of my "real" self. This is driving my wife crazy, since the loss seemed to be continuing under her care. So now I am getting lots of between-meal snacks and supplements. I think I might be developing some bad new eating habits here for the longer term, since I can now have whatever I want, in whatever quantities I want it, whenever I want it.

One thing I found interesting about my hospital stay was that there was absolutely no interest shown in my weight there at all. I was endlessly checked for blood pressure, pulse, temperature, and blood sugar; but I was not weighed on my way in or out, nor the entire time I was there, except once at my own request. The nurse had to move a bunch of stuff out of the way in an equipment room for me to reach the scale stuck in the back. It was clearly something they were not using much, if at all. I was weighed once by the radiation oncology team, as part of a more general how-are-we-doing check, but by then I was outpatient.

No comments:

Post a Comment