Saturday, August 15, 2009

Recent And Upcoming Changes

I visited the oncologist's office Friday morning; he announced that since stopping chemotherapy didn't appear to have had any affect on my heart-related symptoms, he was ordering me to begin the second phase on Monday, and to resume taking Allopurinol immediately. I can't remember previously mentioning Allopurinol, so I'm mentioning it now. One of the effects of the chemotherapy regimen is that the dead blood plasma cells break down into, among other things, uric acid, which it is the responsibility of the kidneys to remove. The body produces uric acid on its own as well, so to give the poor kidneys a break, Allopurinol is used to suppress the normal production of uric acid.

The oncologist also ordered that bisphosphonate therapy should begin next Friday. This topic deserves a post of its own, which I will provide once the therapy has begun.

The physical therapist is happy with my recent progress, so much so that this week she began taking me out from behind the walker and working me with a cane. This is the most hopeful development for me that has occurred in some time. It gives me the idea that eventually I will walk normally again, and then have only fighting the cancer to worry about.

1 comment: